The Sector for Preparation of the National Version of Acquis Communautaire is a central coordinative body responsible for coordination of the process of preparation of the national version of the ; translation of the Republic of Macedonia’s legislation in one of the official EU languages; it is also responsible for pursuing the development of language related issues in terms of meeting the criteria for EU integration of the Republic of Macedonia in the field of language.
The Sector for Preparation of the National Version of Acquis Communautaire consists of two units:
- Unit for Translation Coordination - responsible for drafting translation plans, documents preparation, submission of the same to translation agencies, technical committees responsible for expert and legal revision of translated EU legal acts, databases update, as well as drafting of the Technical Guidelines for all participants in the translation process
- Unit for Revision and Terminology - responsible for terminology unification, monitoring the quality of translation of EU legal acts and legal acts of the Republic of Macedonia, drafting manuals, as well as maintenance of terminology database.
The following are also included in the work of the Sector for Preparation of the National Version of Acquis Communautaire:
- external agencies that provide translation and editing in Macedonian language,
- technical committees responsible for expert and legal revision of EU legal acts, comprising representatives of relevant institutions of the state administration, public administration, natural and legal persons and non-governmental organisations.
- a special committee so-called Technical Committee is being established for verification of the terminology and of the national version of the acquis communautaire, including representatives of the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Economy, the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts, the Institute of Macedonian Language, the Faculty of Philology, the Secretariat for Legislation as well as the Secretariat for European Affairs.
The whole preparatory process of the national version of acquis communautaire as well as the translation of Republic of Macedonia’s legislation including all envisaged and planned activities, necessary financial and human resources is presented in the Strategic Plan for preparation of the national version of the acquis communautaire and translation of the legislation of the Republic of Macedonia, adopted by the Government of the Republic of Macedonia in May 2006.
Databases important for the Sector for Preparation of the National Version of Acquis Communautaire:
1. Register for monitoring the process of translation of EU legal acts (Translation register)
2. EU terminology and Web corpus (Term Base)